I couldn't end the day without pointing to the news that Mzinga has acquired Prospero. Chris Brogan pointed out that one of the cooler things that they did with the announcement was to use social media to do the launch - as witnessed by an active conversation on Twitter this morning. While that was cool, what I like about Mzinga is:
- They have internal enterprise solutions for eLearning and HR
- They have external enterprise solutions for B2B customer and partner communities
- They now have consumer-oriented solutions
- Prospero has a very distributed architecture with APIs so social functionality can be distributed and integrated with other content and functionality.
- Mzinga has the marketing and management strength to growth the company.
Competition is also coming from enterprise communication and collaboration applications, content management vendors, and enterprise search platforms. Microsoft recently announced that SharePoint Server sales have surpassed $1B. Enterprises who want to deploy communities have plenty of options and it is already clear there is huge demand for this so there will be plenty of room in the market for multiple solutions. The winners will likely be those that not only have interesting and flexible technology but the services and experience to make companies successful.